Director of Evaluation & Assessment / 40 Hours/ MGH- Community Health Improvement
Company: Massachusetts General Physicians' Organization
Posted on: February 25, 2021
Job Description - Director of Evaluation & Assessment / 40
Hours/ MGH- Community Health Improvement (3147216) Director of
Evaluation & Assessment / 40 Hours/ MGH- Community Health
Improvement - ( 3147216 ) The Office of Equity and Community Health
at MGH guides the institution in providing patient care, programs
and services that meet the needs of a diverse patient population
and works with community partners to address root causes of health
inequities. In November 2020, the MGH Office of Equity unveiled the
Hospital's 10-point Structural Equity Plan. The goal of the plan is
to address structural and overt racism within and outside the
organization. The plan outlines 10 key strategic initiatives, along
with tactical and operational components. Each initiative is
accompanied by specific goals, key activities, resources,
timelines, oversight, accountability, rigorous evaluation metrics
and transparency. The Center for Community Health Improvement
(CCHI), founded in 1995, has a strong track record of partnering
with underserved communities to improve health, with a focus on the
social determinants of health and equity. CCHI has approximately 90
staff focused on three major strategies at the community,
population and individual levels in more than 35 diverse programs
in Boston, Chelsea, and Revere. CCHI is responsible for conducting
community health needs assessments of our local under-resourced
communities every three years and developing strategic plans to
address each community's identified issues. Under general dual
supervision and direction from the SVP of Equity and Community
Health and Chief Strategy Officer the Senior Director of Evaluation
and Assessment will direct, develop and manage the systems and
structures, and identify metrics and data sources needed to
effectively evaluate MGH's 10 key strategic equity initiatives, as
well as multiple concurrent evaluations of hospital and
community-based health improvement interventions, focusing on
substance use disorders, violence, disease management, access to
care, youth development, and assessing quality of care for
vulnerable populations. Evaluating and designing the implementation
strategies and quality improvement processes of CCHI's four
coalitions charged with carrying out community health needs
assessments every three years will be essential to not only help
guide the community health agenda, but to also meet state and
federal guidelines. The Director of Evaluation & Assessment will
serve as a senior leader for the Office of Equity and Community
Health and CCHI and will work with the SVP of Equity and Community
Health & Chief Strategy Officer to help with strategic planning,
communications and development. PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND
RESPONSIBILITIES: Strategic Planning & Strategy Development
- Participate as a member of the MGH Equity and Community Health
Senior Staff team. Attend monthly meetings to update the team on
new initiatives and work with the team to help improve processes
and determine annual goals and strategic initiatives.
- Participate as a member of the CCHI leadership team to support
- Assist the CCHI with strategic planning as the center prepares
for a community health plan for 2030.
- Assist with organizing community health-wide initiatives such
as community health events, site visits and fundraisers.
- Participate as a member of the MGB Community Health strategic
planning efforts. Evaluation & Research
- Oversee the development and implementation of evaluation and
accountability metrics for the MGH Structural Equity Plan in
partnership with the Director of Evaluation.
- Ensure that appropriate data sources are obtained and identify
strategies for troubleshooting
- Develop reports (internally for the team and externally for the
organization) to keep all abreast of developments and current
- Assist with program development and planning and initiate and
manage the implementation of internal community-based research and
- Lead design, implementation and financial management of
software across MGH used to track equity and community health
initiatives. Consult with MGB, as well as outside organizations who
use the system.
- Oversee evaluation activities of all community engagement work
- Revere CARES, Healthy Chelsea, East Boston, The Charlestown
Coalition and other new Boston Initiatives.
- Specifically lead planning and evaluation activities for all
community health worker programs funded by the hospital and outside
grants. This entails setting up data collection systems, consulting
on program development with managers and directing report
- Oversee evaluation of all Youth Development programs and
initiatives for youth from 3 rd grade through college.
- Oversee Attorney General (AG) reporting for MGH and work with
MGB to ensure completion. This entails reviewing all program data
to make sure the data collected and reported is tied to overall
program goals and effectively illustrates program accomplishments.
Additionally, ensures compliance of AG recommendations.
- Conduct analyses of primary and secondary data using SPSS and
other statistical packages. Research and purchase new evaluation
and survey software packages as the need arises.
- Prepare PowerPoint presentations and reports, attend and
present at conferences and initiate and write manuscripts for peer
- Identify opportunities to present the department's work,
whether at conferences or in journals
- Design and help implement MGHs Community Health Needs
Assessment (CHNA) in Boston and North Suffolk in collaboration with
community- based organizations. This includes managing staff and
interns to gather data through surveys, focus groups, and obtain
secondary data from other sources.
- Work directly with community coalition staff and other
community leaders. Lead and facilitate community meetings. Complete
report and present to the Board Committee on Community Health.
- Work with all parties involved to ensure that Community Health
Implementation Plans (CHIPs) are developed and implementation
strategies are conducted and evaluated.
- Serve as CCHI's representative to plan and lead assessment
processes with the Conference of Boston Teaching Hospitals (COBTH)
Community Health Needs Assessment work group to ensure city-wide
CHNA is completed and CHIPs are produced.
- Work with the Chief Strategy Officer to ensure compliance with
local, state and federal regulations, as well as accrediting
agencies (Attorney General, Determination of Need (DoN), Federal
and Local Grant requirements, etc.).
- Report all required data to the Massachusetts Attorney
General's Office (Community Benefit), the City of Boston (PILOT),
the Massachusetts Department of Public Health (Determination of
Need), and the Internal Revenue Service (Community Health Needs
Assessments) on a yearly basis.
- Oversee data collection/community engagement efforts for new
Determination of Need application which will result in over $60
million dollars being invested in the community starting Fall,
- Supervise at least 3-4 FTEs on the Center for Community Health
(CCHI) Evaluation Team and manage the hiring processes and
- Work in tandem with the Director of Evaluation in the Office of
Equity and Community Health
- Recruit and manage interns and volunteers for equity and
community health evaluation and research projects.
- Effective, proven leadership in the area of community health
- Must have a demonstrated commitment to affecting change in
urban, low income, diverse communities.
- Strong public speaker, effective writer, skilled meeting and
- Strong spokesperson for the hospital and the communities we
serve around community health and community benefits both locally
and nationally. Knowledge of the Boston healthcare and community
landscape is a plus.
- Effective organization and project management skills combined
with flexibility, attention to detail, and multi-tasking
- Expertise in program evaluation and continuous quality
improvement methods and theories. Effective ability to evaluate
community health programs and community-based environmental
strategies (coalitions). Strong knowledge of IRB protocols
- Strong background and theoretical framework in key concepts of
community health including primary prevention, early intervention,
health disparities, evidence-based approaches, social- ecological
model, social determinants of health, community health needs
assessments, environmental approaches and strategies, continuous
quality improvement and assurance, coalition building, program
development and implementation and community-based participatory
- Must have a demonstrated commitment to staying current in the
field of community health through readings and continuous
- Ability to perform and lead community health needs assessments
and strategic planning
- Proven ability to hire, manage and supervise staff - ability to
motivate staff, set goals, hold staff accountable to these goals
and put in place policies, procedures, training opportunities, and
mentoring to ensure staff success.
- Familiarity with relational database systems (e.g., ACCESS and
Efforts to Outcomes) preferred
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Must have a keen ability to manage budgets.
- Must be highly organized and able to work independently.
- Ability to work in a collaborative team environment and
interact with all levels of hospital staff and community members a
must LICENSES, CERTIFICATIONS, and/or REGISTRATIONS (if
applicable): EDUCATION: Master's degree in public health or related
field required. EXPERIENCE:-- 10+ years of experience in public
health, management, program evaluation, and data analysis with a
lens of diversity, equity, inclusion and community health
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY (if applicable): Supervise at least 7.5
FTE, including 4 Senior Staff members FISCAL RESPONSIBILITY (if
applicable):-- Oversee evaluation, assessment and coalition budgets
WORKING CONDITIONS:-- Will primarily be located in Boston, but will
travel to Charlestown, Chelsea, Revere, Dorchester, Roxbury,
Mattapan and other surrounding cities, as well as occasional
national conferences Massachusetts General Hospital is an Equal
Opportunity Employer. By embracing diverse skills, perspectives and
ideas, we choose to lead. Applications from--protected veterans and
individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged. -- Primary
Location Work Locations MGH 101 Merrimac 101 Merrimac Street Job
Professional/Managerial Organization Massachusetts General
Hospital(MGH) Schedule Full-time Standard Hours 40 Shift Day Job
Employee Status Regular Recruiting Department MGH Center for
Keywords: Massachusetts General Physicians' Organization, Revere , Director of Evaluation & Assessment / 40 Hours/ MGH- Community Health Improvement, Executive , Revere, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!